If you are choosing Beagles as pets for your family, look no further! We take a look at the personality of this popular dog and include some fun facts that you probably didn’t know already.
The Beagle originated in England and was bred as a hunting dog to chase rabbits and hares. They became popular with the British monarchy in the 13th and 14th centuries and later by the landed-gentry. The breed has life span of 10-15 years.
The Beagle today is much loved throughout the world and one of the most popular breed choices registered with the American Kennel Club.
The definitive guide to Beagles as pets
Beagle Facts and Pictures
Usually tri-colored (black, tan and white). Solid patches of white and black are accompanied by a shade of tan which can vary from a pale lemon shade to light brown, red through to a rich chestnut. Bi-colored Beagles are less common and have two colors (white and tan). The colors can also be of mottled appearance. Beagles can actually be found in a great variety of colors of which the distribution does not matter. All Beagles however should have a white tip to their tail, the ‘flag’. When out hunting they have their noses down and tails in the air, the ‘flag’ is then visible to its owner.
Males 13-20 inches Females 14-16 inches
Between 26 and 40lbs
7 Fun Beagle Facts
- Arguably the most famous Beagle is Snoopy, the dog in the Peanuts cartoon.
- Other famous Beagles include Shiloh, Odie, Sandy, Underdog, Gromit, Poochie and The Beagle Boys, not forgetting Uno the best of show winner in 2008 who is now an ambassador for therapy dogs.
- Beagles have 220 million scent receptors, whilst humans have only around 5 million.
- They spend most of their time tracking and have been described as a ‘nose on legs’. It therefore makes them an ideal choice for search and rescue situations and airport security.
- The word ‘Beagle’ is believed to have come from the Celtic word ‘beag’ meaning small.
- Famous owners include Queen Elizabeth 1, King James 1 and President Lyndon B Johnson.
- They have been featured in movies, art and even Shakespearean plays.
Beagles have so many admirable qualities – what a terrific breed! . If you are looking to welcome a Beagle into your home visit Beagle dogs for sale and Beagle adoption. Researching Beagle facts and information can help you decide if the Beagle is the right dog for you. If you are choosing Beagles as pets you will have a wonderful new family member.